Vegetarian Ragu – Try it for yourself!
Everyone loves a good Ragu (or Spaghetti Bolognese), so for research purposes, we tried this veggie option from Quorn.
We wouldn’t dream of saying that it’s the same as a Ragu you will get in Bologna, but it’s a very good alternative that’s very easy to make at home.
We have started to make this every week since we have been eating our less (!) and we love it! If you have a little bit of patience to let everything simmer nicely over a few hours, it really is worth it! And it tastes even better the next day, or the day after that. We get about 6 portions from this.
- 300g Quorn Mince
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, very finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g mushrooms such as mini portabellos, diced
- 2 tbsp red pesto
- 400ml tomato passata
- 1 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 vegetable stock cube, dissolved in 150ml hot water
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 500g fresh spaghetti – Note: Italian’s will always use Rigatoni, never spaghetti
- Hard cheese of your choice, grated to serve (optional)