We see a lot of chatter in the media about ‘save the bees’ – however does anyone really know the exact reason why bees are so crucial for our environment?
Bees play a vital role in the ‘Plant Pollination Process’ . This process is the vital reproductive method in plants whereby it enables the plants to bear fruits and seeds which are not only consumed by us humans, but also a sole food source for many animals.
The plant pollination process involves the transfer of pollen from the male part of the plant, to the female part. 80% of plant pollination occurs via ‘biotic pollination’ whereby the plant is reliant on another moving living organism to carry the pollen from one part to the other. This is where our beautiful bees come in.
Bees are the most important pollinator for most of the worlds’ fresh produce such as vegetable crops, wheat, rice, fruits etc.
So what’s harming our precious bees?
- Habitat destruction.
- Use of pesticides
- Abusive bee farm factory keepers
- Stealing all of the bees honey
What can you do to help?
- Try not to remove wildflowers from your gardens or pavements.
- Planting shrubs, flower beds, flowering plants, garden herbs.
- Using alternative natural sweetners to honey such as maple syrup, jam, molasses etc.
- Using beeswax free products.