Electric vehicles are now an established mode of transport. These vehicles are now an important part of automotive industry, where manufacturers are keenly involved.
The World’s largest car manufacturers are heavily focused on the production of EV’s, paving the way future for our motor industry to provide a cleaner more responsible mode of transport for the masses.
Top 8 Must Haves
Do you own an electric car? If you do, or perhaps thinking about joining the EV revolution, here are a few suggestions and ideas for accessories you could consider.
1.Home charging stations are the first thing to consider when purchasing an Electric car. There are many different solutions to consider, so it’s worth doing your homework on this one.
- Wallbox is one of the main players in the market, with 3 options to choose from. This unit has also been designed and prepared to be easily upgraded to full mode 3 charging as and when required.
A fault current protection can also double up as the home’s outdoor maintenance socket. Checkout www.wallbox.ie or www.carcharger.ie
- Rolec EV Tethered Home Charger is a simple, low-cost, easy to install mode 3 charging station, designed specifically for charging electric vehicles at home. It comes with a choice of either Type 1 or Type 2, 5 metre long tethered charging cable attached. Check out www.powerwiseelectrical.ie
- Electric Ireland provide a full range of services to help
- new EV drivers andtheycan provide a home charger from as little as €149 (with some T&C’s). Check out www.Electricireland.ie
2.Membership of Irish EV Owners: Irish EV Owners Association (IEVOA) is for electric vehicle owners and drivers in Ireland. The organisation represents members in their involvement with various companies and government bodies such as ESB Ecars, EcarsNI, Drive4Zero, County Councils, Nissan Corp and Limerick Smarter Travel. You can become either an Associate Member (free to join) or take out the full membership for €10. Members receive help and support from other members and also a rather cool Car sticker to demonstrate your pride whilst driving an EV! Full members also receive some de-ICE-ing cars which you can leave for other EV drivers who mis-use public charge points. We like this!
3.Phone Apps: There are lots of new Apps popping up around us as the EV market grows.
- PlugShare shows the location of charging stations across the world. As is the case with all apps of this type, you can also find important details like what kind of plugs the stations support.
- This App is currently just for Nissan Leaf drivers, although a version for Tesla is in the works and hopefully others too. This will give you information on the state of your car’s battery (you will need to buy an OBDII dongle to plug into your car port).
- ECar: The app from ESB provides charge point location information, navigation and the charge point type (Standard/Fast) as well as the location of future charge points. The App also provides users with the latest news from ESB ecars. Ecar connect App gives EV drivers the opportunity to locate charge points in Ireland as well as to keep updated on the infrastructure that is being rolled out nationwide. It also offers potential EV owners a view of charge points available in the destinations that they travel to.
4. Hudway Cast: What is this you ask? This cool little gadget turns any smartphone into a heads-up display (HUD) for your vehicle, projecting the GPS onto a transparent screen in front of you. Supported by both Android and iOS devices, it can also be used to receive calls, read texts, and control music. I bought an equivalent one in TKMax too. Really cool gizmo!
5. Alexa-Enabled Roav VIVA Car Charger: Bring Amazon’s intelligent voice service into your car with Anker’s Roav VIVA. The first Alexa-enabled car charger, this dual-port USB device plugs into your cigarette lighter, juicing your staff while also offering access to over 25,000 Alexa skills. In addition to voice-controlled navigation, hands-free calling, and music streaming, it also offers you the opportunity to remotely control smart devices in your home.
6. Handpresso Auto Hybrid Coffee Maker: We love this one! Designed for car use, this coffee maker plugs into the cigarette lighter, delivering a perfect barista-quality espresso in just 2 minutes. The product is compact enough to fit in the cup holder and works with both ESE pods and ground coffee.
7. Inflatable Car Bed: Yes, you heard correctly. So imagine your 20 minute journey somehow turns into an unexpected trip to an areas that has no EV charge points. And your battery is flat :(. Why not have a little lie down until the AA come to your rescue.
8. AA Membership: We think this is a membership every car owner should have. The membership is from €10 per month and they will come out to you for a flat tire or a flat battery, to name a few nuisances.